Top 10 Interesting Facts about India
India known as the world’s largest democracy, India may be a truly fascinating country with a really proud people. India is incredible, we all know that right! But what we don’t know are the umpteen fascinating stories and facts that our country holds in its embrace. What are those fascinating facts? Well, you will have to scroll below to get a hold of them. And let me tell you these 10 amazing facts about India, is just going to make you love our country a little more.
1) 70% of all the world’s spices come from India.
2) India has the world’s second-largest military, with over 1.39 million active troops.
3) India is the world’s largest producer of milk.
Having recently overtaking the European Union, milk production in India reached over 132.4 million tonnes in 2014.
4) India has the largest number of vegetarians in the world.
Around 20-40% of the population are vegetarians. Religious reasons is a major factor – especially Hinduism and Jainism, and another factor is personal choices.
5) Snakes & Ladders originated in India.
The game was initially invented to teach young children about morals and karma. It was later commercialized and has become one of the world’s most popular board games.
6) At over 5000 years old, Varanasi is one of the oldest inhabited places on earth.
It is also one of India’s holiest cities. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Shiva founded the city 5000 years ago.
7) The first rocket in India was transported on a bicycle!
8) In West Bengal, India, cows must have a Photo ID card!
9) There is a spa just for elephants in India.
They receive baths, massages and food at the Punnathoor Cotta Elephant Yard Rejuvenation Centre in Kerala.
10) Chess was invented in India.
One of the oldest games in the world that is still played, the popular game was invented around the 6th Century AD.